Masonic Temple Building (Prince Hall)

This three-story brick building with Italianate details housed commercial space on the first floor, a meeting hall on the second floor, and the Masonic Hall on the third floor. It was built in 1907 by Raleigh's earliest African American fraternal orders: the Widow's Sons' Lodge #4, established in 1867 by prominent African American missionary and social leader Bishop James W. Hood; and the Excelsior Lodge #21, founded in 1879. The lodges were major contributors to the social and economic betterment of Raleigh's African American community. Oral tradition suggests it was built of bricks salvaged from the earlier white Masonic Hall, demolished to make way for the 1907 Masonic Hall at 133 Fayetteville Street.

Date: 1907

Images

Masonic Temple Building, 2009

Masonic Temple Building, 2009

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Masonic Temple, 1984

Masonic Temple, 1984

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Masonic Temple, 1984

Masonic Temple, 1984

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Masonic Temple, 1980s

Masonic Temple, 1980s

Image courtesy of Michael Zirkle Photography. View File Details Page

Masonic Temple Building

Masonic Temple Building

Image courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina. View File Details Page

Street Address:

427 South Blount Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Masonic Temple Building (Prince Hall),” Raleigh Historic, accessed March 29, 2017, http://www.raleighhistoric.org/items/show/106.

Share this Story